This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Is It Possible I Have Two GI Bills and Can I Transfer One to My Son?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I was active duty for ten years then I separated from the USA and I joined the USAR. Does it mean that I am entitled to two different types of GI Bills, the active and the SR? If yes, can I transfer the SR GI Bill to my son and use the active myself?

A: It really depends on how long of an enlistment you signed up for in the USAR. To get the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) you would have had to sign up for a six-year hitch. As far as transferring either the MGIB-SR or MGIB-AD GI Bill to your son, that’s a no-go. Neither, have a transfer option.

However, if you had a Title 10 tour in support of a contingency operation while in the USAR or you served on active duty for at least three years after September 10, 2001, you could be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill which does have a transfer option. Make the request while you are still in the USAR as once retired or discharged, it is too late.

If you are eligible, go to the TEB website and make a transfer request. Once approved, your son can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return he will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that he will need when he registers for school as a GI Bill student.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.