This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

In My Situation, Should I Stick with the MGIB or Switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill?


Q: Mr. Kness, I am a member of the Alabama National Guard and I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have used all but 17 months of my Montgomery GI Bill and I plan on finishing my degree when I get back home. To my understanding, I will be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I was trying to decide which route for me would be best. Stick with the Montgomery GI Bill for the remainder 17 months (using my Tuition Assistance I am assuming is my best option to pay for tuition?) OR switching over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill immediately and forfeiting the rest of my MGIB. What is your recommendation? Thank you!

A: The best way to answer your question is to do a pay comparison of both GI Bills. Under the MGIB, you would get $1,473 each month you are in school for your remaining 17 months, totaling up to $25,041. Out of that amount, you have to pay all your own tuition, fees, books and any other education-related expenses, plus have money to live on.

If this is your first deployment (and it sounds like it is), then assuming it is for one year, you would be eligible for 60% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill meaning the VA will only pay your school up to that percentage amount for tuition, and you for your housing allowance and book stipend.

So if you were to convert those 17 months over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, 60% of your tuition and fees would be paid, you would get 60% of the monthly housing allowance authorized for the location of your school and based on the number of credits you are taking each semester.

Right now, for zip code 30303 (Atlanta) the authorized full amount is $1,149. Sixty percent of that amount comes up to $689.40. Your book stipend would be up to $600 per year (60% of the authorized $1,000). The VA would pay up to 60% of your tuition and fees. The other 40% would be your responsibility to pay.

Assuming your per credit cost is $250 and you are taking 12 credits ($3,000), your part of the tuition would be $1,200 per semester. During that semester, you would get $2,757.60 (assuming 4-month semesters) and $300.02 in book stipend.

Under the MGIB, you would earn $5,892 during the semester and have to pay out $3,000, plus book costs of let’s say $300 (the same amount you would have received in a book stipend) and would end up netting about $2,600 per semester. But, under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you would net about $1,800 per semester. So at 60% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill would be a better option for you.


Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at http://www.va.gov.

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits.For more information on how to choose a school, visit. For more information on ArmyStudyGuide.com, visit our FAQ page or follow the About Us link found below. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.