This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If Married, Can the Spouse Use the G.I. Bill?

Q: My boyfriend is in the Army and he asked me to research to find out some things about the GI Bill. He said someone told him if you are married, your spouse can use to GI Bill. Is that true? Thanks!

A: Yes it can be true, depending on which G.I. Bill you are referring to. Let me explain.

The only G.I. Bill with a transfer option is the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill; the Montgomery G.I. Bill doesn’t have a transfer option. To make the transfer to a spouse, the service member:

  • has to have served at least 6 years on active duty after September 10, 2001;
  • has to agree to serve an additional 4 years on active duty;
  • must make the transfer to the spouse while still on active duty.

The service member can transfer any amount (or all) of the remaining months of education benefit to his/her spouse. The spouse has 15 years from the last date of discharge to use his/her transferred education benefit.

Keep in mind, the spouse will not receive the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill housing allowance or book stipend while the service member is still on active duty. If the spouse is still going to school after the service member is discharged, those two benefits will kick in at that time.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”