This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I’m 100% Service-Connected Disabled, Can My Children Use Both State and Federal GI Bills?

Q: I’m a 100% service connected disable veteran. Can my children receive state GI Bill and VA (Federal) GI Bill for their education in college?

A: Yes they can provided your state offers a state GI Bill. But know the VA is usually the last bill payer, so they may only pay the tuition/fees that is left after the state GI bill pays first.

As a veteran with a service-connected disability, you are authorized the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% level if you served for at least 30 days after September 10, 2001.

The way Congress wrote the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you had to be on active duty on or after August 1, 2009 to make a transfer request. Now the real question is did you have a chance to make your transfer requests before you were separated? Many disabled veterans were so focused on their health (and rightly so), that they forgot (or in many cases did not know) they had to make a transfer and get it approved before they got out. If you did, you were one of the lucky ones. If not, then there still might be light at the end of the tunnel.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (Rep – UT) w/ 1 Co-sponsor recently introduced H.R. 2002 legislation that would allow service-connected disabled veterans the opportunity to make a transfer request – the opportunity many never got. However, it will need to pass both the House and Senate, and have the President sign it into law before it can be used. At least someone is making an attempt to correct a wrong.

If you did not make a transfer while you were still in, then look into getting Chapter 35 for your children. This GI Bill could provide up to 45 months of education benefits for each of them.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”