This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Was in Less Than 120 Days, Am I Still Entitled to the GI Bill?

Q: If I was in the Army for less than 120 days, but got an honorable discharge, am I still entitled to the GI Bill?

A: Probably not as much of your 120 days were more than likely spent as training time, which doesn’t count towards GI Bill eligibility unless you have served at least 36 months, at which point training time does count.

If you had at least 90-days of your time in the Army that was not spent in Basic Training or Advance Individual Training (AIT), then yes, that time would count. You only need 90-days to attain minimum eligibility of the Post 9/11 GI Bill which would put you at the 40% tier.

At the Post 9/11 GI Bill 40% level, the VA would pay 40% of your tuition and eligible fees, up to the in-state maximum, and you would get up to $400 of the $1,000 book stipend and housing allowance. The book stipend is paid at the rate of 40% of the $41.67 per credits. To get the housing allowance, you would have to maintain a rate of pursuit of greater-than-half-time (normally 7 credits or more) and take at least one class (pertaining to your degree plan) per term on campus.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”