This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Switched from the MGIB to the Post 9/11 GI Bill Two Years Ago, Is That Benefit Still Good?

Q: I served in the Marine Corps from 2001 to 2005. I got out with an Honorable discharge and then I was also in the Reserves for a couple years doing drills. I received an Honorable as well. I joined the Army in 2009 and I am being admin separated 06/2013 and receiving an Other Than Honorable. I switched from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9-11 GI Bill two years ago. Will I still receive the benefit? Thank you for your time.

A: Yes you will. Your four years of time in the Marine Corp (2001 – 2005) ending with an Honorable discharge secured your Post 9/11 GI Bill (at the 100% tier, I might add). So you have 36 months of education benefits that you can use.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA would pay your 100% of your public school, resident undergraduate tuition directly to your school. If you are taking at least 51% of the number of credits your school considers to be full-time, then you would receive a percentage (based on your rate of pursuit) of the Monthly Housing Allowance. You would also get the book stipend calculated at $41.67 per credit hour per semester.

However, there is a $1,000 per year cap on it, but it is enough to get you through two full-time semesters per academic year. To start using your benefit, you would have to first get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990. In return, you would receive your COE showing which GI Bill you have, how many months of entitlement and the expiration date.

So if you end up getting an OTH, you have nothing to worry about as far as your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”