This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If I Served Both on Active Duty and in the Reserves, What Are My GI Bill Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: If I served 6 years on active duty and then later on signed up with the reserves for another 3 years, what are my educations benefits as a reservist? Considering that I paid $1,200 for MGIB while I was on active duty prior.

A: You have the Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD), but not the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR) because you did not sign up for a six-year Reserve enlistment. The MGIB-AD would pay you $1,421 per month up to 36 months for you to go to school.

Depending on when you were on active duty (or if you deployed as a Reservist), you might also qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Under this GI Bill, the VA pays your tuition and fees and you get up to $1,000 per year in a book stipend and a monthly housing allowance. As a note, if you give up your MGIB-AD benefits and switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, once you use up your 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, you get your $1,200 MGIB-AD contribution back.

2 responses on “If I Served Both on Active Duty and in the Reserves, What Are My GI Bill Benefits?

I was wondering if I am finished my current contract with the army (regular active), and this deployment I wil be looking at 4.5yrs in. I would like to go NG in my home state (VA), and go back to school, is there other ways I can use the military to pay for my schooling other than using my GI Bill Benefits? I would like to forward that to my children if it would be possible. Is there any way that the State and Military will pay for me to go to school, and someother benifits if possible (i.e. BAH, healthcare, ect)?

If you enlist in the National Guard, you could use federal tuition assistance and whatever military/veteran programs the state of Virginia offers their servicemembers. Just so you know, you have to have served at least six years in the Armed Forces and reenlist for an additional four years, before you can access the transfer option. so you will have to put in some time in the Guard before you are eligible to make a transfer.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.