This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Retired in 2006, Can I Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Now to My Son?

Q: I retired from the U.S. Marine Corps on 5/31/06 and I am a little confused with the transfer option to a dependent. My son is 20 years old and will be finished with his AA Degree this May. Can I transfer my post 9/11 GI Bill benefits over to him? Will he get a book stipend? Will he get the E-5 Basic allowance for housing if he is a full time student? Thank you so much for your time.

A: The issue with transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to a dependent is the way Congress wrote the New GI Bill rules, you have to be currently serving after August 1, 2009 in order to get a transfer request approved. You were out over three years by that time.

But to answer your other questions, and if you were able to transfer benefits to him at the 100% level, yes if he attended a degree-producing school, he would get the book stipend of $41.67 per credit. It would come toward the beginning of each semester, but it is capped yearly at $1,000, enough for two 12-credit semesters per year. If he attended a non-degree producing school, then his book stipend would be $87 per month.

As far as the housing allowance, he would get the full amount authorized for the zip code of his school provided he was at the 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill level and taking enough credits to be considered a full-time student. And yes it is paid at the E-5-with-dependents pay grade.

I know it is frustrating that you have Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits that you will not use and a son that is going to school and could use the benefits, but you never got a chance to make a transfer request.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”