This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If I Retired In 2004, Can I Transfer My GI Bill to My Daughter?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I retired from the Army in 2004. Can I transfer my GI Bill education benefits to my daughter?

A: If you have the Montgomery GI Bill, then no, because it never had a transfer option. If you have the Post 9/11 GI Bill, then no again – at least for now. The way Congress wrote the Post 9/11 GI Bill, a servicemember had to be on active duty “on or after August 1, 2009″ to make a transfer request. That wording excluded thousands of veterans who met the Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility transfer requirement, but because they retired before July 31, 2009 they never had a chance to make a transfer.

So to right that wrong, Congress currently has a bill that would allow veterans, with 20 years or more of service, retiring between December 8, 2001 and August 1, 2009, the option to make a transfer request. I don’t know what the transfer procedure will look like yet, as the first hurdle is getting the bill passed. Ask your legislators to support H.R. 3577. Of course, if you had less than 20 years of service, the passage of this legislation won’t help you, but your support can still help thousands of other veterans.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.