This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If I Never Used It, Can I Get My $1,200 Montgomery GI Bill Contribution Back?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I had the GI Bill from my service from 1988 through 2000. I never used it. Can I get my $1,200 back?

A: I’m sorry, you can’t. Regardless if you used your Montgomery GI Bill or not, the money is not refundable for the time-frame you were in the military. The only instance where some veterans are getting either a partial or full refund of their $1,200 Montgomery GI Bill contribution, is if they qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and switch to it with either all or part of their MGIB entitlements left.

Those who have already used up the MGIB entitlement and switch to the Post 9/11 GI bill to get the additional 12 months, they don’t get any of their contribution back.

Once they use up their last entitlement, they will get either a full or partial refund back included with their last housing allowance check. The contribution refund is calculated at $33.34 per month of entitlement left at the time of conversion.

For the time you were in, you would not qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. To qualify, you would have had to be in for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001 for the minimum benefit of 40%; it took three years to reach 100%.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.