This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

I Just Transferred My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Spouse; Now How Does She Go About Using It?

Q: I have just transferred my GI Bill to my spouse. What do I do now? She is to start this fall and there is no direction as to what to do next after the transfer is completed. Please assist!

A: Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits is actually a two-step process. You have already taken the first step in that you initiated the TEB transfer. At the end of that process, the Status Block should have read “Transfer Pending”. Now the next thing for you to do is to keep going back to the TEB website and watch for the status to change to “Transfer Approved”. Once that happens, your wife has to go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e.

In return, she’ll get her Certificate of Eligibility. It’ll show the GI Bill she has (Post 9/11 GI Bill), the number of months remaining that she has left to use (the number of months you transferred to her) and the date she has to use up her entitlement (that may be blank as you have not gotten out of the military yet. It will be 15 years from the date of your discharge).

Once she has her certificate, she will need to hand in a copy to the Registrar at her school. Her school will then send in a Certificate of Enrollment to the VA which when matched up with her certificate starts the payment process to both the school and her. The VA will pay her tuition directly to her school. The VA pays up to the resident tuition at a public school or up to $20,235.02 per year at a private school.

She will get (once you are no longer serving) the Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance. It is based on the zip code of her school and the number of credits she takes. Regardless if you are still serving or not, she will get the book stipend. In a degree-program, it is $41.67 per credit per semester. If she is in a non-degree program, then it is $83 per month. With either type, there is a $1,000 per academic year limit.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”