This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

If I Had the Old GI Bill and I’m Back In, Do I Get the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am a prior service member and I am now back in. I used part of my old GI Bill, but not all and it is past the ten-year mark. Can I get the New 9/11 GI Bill now that I’m back in or not? Thank you.

A: Once you have served at least 90 days on active duty, you will qualify for minimum Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits (40%). To get to the 100% level takes at least three years.

My concern is that you had the old Montgomery GI Bill. Under the Rule of 48, if you qualify for more than one GI Bill, you are limited to a combined maximum entitlement of 48 months, so you may only get the same number of months under the Post 9/11 GI Bill as you had left under the Montgomery GI Bill. The only thing that might change that would be if they don’t count the Montgomery because it is past the delimiting date, but I don’t think so. If they don’t count your old GI Bill, then you would get the full 36 months of entitlement.

As you know, under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA pays your tuition and fees, up to the in-state maximum, directly to your school. You get paid a monthly housing allowance and a book stipend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.