This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Much Money Does It Cost to Get the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Q: How much more money can I pay into the Post 9/11 G.I Bill to get the addition benefits with the Post 9/11 G.I Bill Benefits?

A: The Post 9/11 GI Bill is not something you pay into to get. The only way to get the benefits is to put in the time on active duty. For minimum benefits, you need 90 days of active duty after September 10, 2001. This will put you at the 40% tier. For maximum benefits, you need at least 36 months of active duty time after the same date. If you anticipate transferring any of your education benefits to your spouse or children, then you need at least six years of active duty and agree to extend for at least four more years. You can’t transfer benefits after you are out.

However, depending on when and how long you served, you may in fact be eligible for two GI Bills. If you paid into the Montgomery GI Bill, but have the required time after September 10, 2001, you can get a maximum combined benefit up to 48 months. The best way to do it is to exhaust your Montgomery GI Bill education benefits and then switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to get the additional time. If you did have the Montgomery GI Bill and the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you will get a portion of your Montgomery GI Bill contribution back after you exhaust your Post 9/11 GI Bill education benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”