This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How is Money Subtracted from My GI Bill If I Take a Gunsmithing Certification Course?

Q: Say I want to get a gunsmithing certificate from a VA-approved school. The cost is $2,500. The training is at my own pace. Here’s my question: how is the money subtracted from my GI Bill? Do I lose just the months of benefit that equal the $2,500 or do I lose the number of months it takes me to complete the program? I am on active duty and have the Montgomery GI Bill and I am eligible to transfer to the Post 9/11 Bill. Thanks! I don’t want to spend $2,500 and lose an entire year’s worth of benefits should it take me that long.

A: This is a great question and my answer shows what a difference there really is as far as which GI Bill you use. Your concern is the amount of GI Bill eligibility you would use by taking this course and it is a valid concern, but let me show you just what the difference really is.

If you take this course using your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), the amount of entitlement you would use would be in increments of the monthly amount the MGIB pays divided into the cost of the course. Since the MGIB currently pays $1,564 per month and your course costs $2,500, you would use up 1.59 months or about 1 month and 18 days of your MGIB eligibility and you would be required to pay for the course yourself.

If you use the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA would pay the $2,500 course cost directly to the school. Monthly you would get a housing allowance paid at the E-5 with dependents pay grade. It averages around $1,300 per month across the United States, but is dependent on the zip code of your school unless you are taking the course online. Then your housing allowance would max out at $647.50 per month.

You would also get $83 per month in book stipend money. However, you would also use up one month of eligibility for each month you are enrolled in the course; the longer it takes you to finish the course, the more months of benefits you use up. So if you are concerned about using the least amount of eligibility, then your best bet would be to use the MGIB.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”