This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How I Can Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Daughter?

Q: Please tell me how I can transfer my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to my daughter.

A: The process of transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your daughter is easy provided you first meet the transfer-of-benefits requirements. Before you can get a transfer request approved, you must:
• Have served for at least six years; if in the Guard/Reserve, you must have at least one eligible period of service within your six years of service.
• Be currently serving at the time of your transfer request.
• Have at least four years left on your enlistment; if you are on active duty, you would fall under the new rule; you have at least four years or more left before reaching your Retention Control Point or High Year Tenure, because you would have to extend for four more years. If you have less than four years left until reaching either of these points, then most likely you would not be able to get a transfer request approved. So far, the SELRES is not falling under the Retention/High Year Tenure four-year rule.

If you meet these three service requirements, then go to the milConnect website and make a transfer request. Once in your daughter’s record, enter in the number of months of benefits you would like to transfer to her. Once finished and submitted, you will see a status of “Transfer Pending”. Keep checking back periodically and look for a status change to “Transfer Approved”.

Once approved, your daughter then has to go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e to get her Certificate of Eligibility. She will need that certificate when she enrolls in school as a GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

If you are not still serving, then you would not be able to make a transfer request.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”