This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do We Get Our Son’s Post 9/11 Transferred Benefit to 100%?

Q: My husband is a soldier in the Army National Guard. His is currently on his third deployment. He transferred his Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to our son who is will start his first year of college this fall. My husband qualified (per VA) at the 80% rate of payment for the GI Bill based on the number of months of AD tours overseas. Because he is on AD now, he is adding to his qualifying months and will soon be eligible for 90% of tuition reimbursement during the middle of the first semester of our son’s schooling. How do we get the increase from 80% to 90% and then again to 100%? It is important to get these increases, but the main problem I see is that he will not have a DD214 until our son has already started his second year due to the tour length. (we need the yellow ribbon program – tuition is over $35K per year without housing). Any suggestions? And… Thanks a bundle for such a great and informative web site!

A: First of all, something here is not right. For your husband to transfer his Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your son, he has to already be at the 100% level, have served six years on active duty and commit to an additional four years, before the transfer option will allow him to enter the number of months he wishes to transfer. Just to get to the 100% level, without transferring, requires at least three years on active duty.

If the VA rated your husband at 80%, then they have determined he has at least 24 months, but less than 30 months, of qualifying active duty service, which makes sense due to him already have two deployments under his belt and working on a third.

I don’t think your husband transferred anything to your son, as he isn’t eligible to, so whether you have an updated DD214 at this point or not is a mute point. Even once your husband has the three years to qualify for the 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, he won’t have the six years on active duty he needs, plus agreeing to the additional four years.

One sure way to tell if he has any transferred benefits or not is to have him send in VA Form 22-1990e. If he gets it back approved and with a Certificate of Eligibility, he has benefits; if it comes back denied, then he doesn’t.

I think you got some bad information concerning the transferring of this GI Bill and I would plan to make other financial arrangements for your son to go to college.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”