This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do We Change Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits from My Kid’s Name to My Name?

Q: My children names are currently attached to my husband’s Post 9/11 GI Bill. We would like to change it to put my name on so I can start school in the fall. Please help! Thanks. — Keva

A: That may or may not be possible Keva. The big question is if your husband is still serving or not. If not, and he had not given you any Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement when he was serving, there is nothing that anyone can do now for him to be able to revoke transferred benefits from his kids and reallocate them to you.

However, if he is still serving, or he had made a transfer to you while serving, then he can revoke some or all unused benefits from his children and give them to you.

Many savvy military members give each child and their spouse at least one month of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit while still serving. Doing it this way it makes it extremely easy to move entitlement around from one family member to another.

If he is still serving, he may have to extend his enlistment out enough so that he has at least another four years to serve before he could get a transfer request approved.

I suspect he is already out and you never had benefits before in which case nothing can be done to transfer benefits to you now.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”