This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My 24-Year Old Daughter?

Q: I need to transfer my GI Bill benefits to my daughter. She turned 24 on January 23rd.

A: First, to make a Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) request, you have to meet three eligibility criteria. The first one is having at least six years of eligible service. The second one is still serving in one of the branches of the Armed Forces of the United States. Third, you have to have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time of your transfer request. So if you meet the all three requirements, you can go to the milConnect website and make a transfer request.

Once your request is approved (by checking back at the TEB website occasionally and looking for a status change to “Transfer Approved”), your daughter has to go to the eBenefits website and request her Certificate of Eligibility that she will need when enrolling in school. By giving a copy of the certificate to the Registrar, her school knows she is a student using Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits.

That will indicate to them to send in a Certificate of Enrollment to the VA on her behalf. That certificate (when matched up to her Certificate of Eligibility) is the trigger to get the whole payment process started so that the school gets their tuition money and she gets her housing allowance and book stipend.

Also be aware that she only has two years left to use her transferred benefits. Once she hits 26, she can no longer use any remaining benefits. If she will have benefits remaining at that point, it would be wise for you to revoke what is left and either use them yourself or allocate to another dependent.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”