This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Do I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits After Having Retired?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I did not learn about the ability to transfer eligibility of my Post 9/11 GI benefit. I was eligible to retire after Aug 2009 and did retire on 30 January 2010. It was after I learned about the ability to transfer. My dependents are in DEERS as I was active duty. I just recently received my certificate from the VA on my benefits last month after fighting for that where they awarded 70%. My last unit is trying to assist but there has to be an exception process. They are telling me several ANG unit members during this period have filed congressionals because their units did not inform of this requirement to transfer before retiring. I continually check the TEB site and I still see no dependents listed to transfer. Suggestions? The TEB site doesn’t give an email for contact at DoD to contact that I’ve been able to find so far.

A: You are not the only one to have run into this situation. Somehow the word did not get out, especially to those retiring when the Post 9/11 GI Bill went into effect and for the first few months afterward. Just so you know there is not an exemption of any kind to “grandfather” you in.

There was a House bill (H.R. 3557) that would have allowed 20-year plus veterans retiring between December 9, 2001 and August 1, 2009 the option to make a transfer essentially because these veterans are fully Post 9/11 GI Bill eligible, including the transfer option, but because they got out before the New GI bill started, they never had a chance to make a transfer.

Unfortunately, that bill will not apply to those retiring “on or after August 1, 2009″ as Congress wrote it. I guess you were suppose to know the rules ( and we know thousands did not) and make your transfer before you got out. Those first few months after the Post 9/11 GI Bill started were filled with either no information or the wrong information as many just did not know the rules yet.

I’m not saying a congressional appeal will work, but it will get your concern heard and if enough of the affected veterans write in, it may get Congress’ attention and they can make a change. They are the only ones who can change the GI Bill rules as they are the ones who initially write them.

4 responses on “How Do I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits After Having Retired?

So has there been any update on that bill that will make it so Military personel that retired between 2001 and 2009 are able to transfer their benefits?

No, there has not, and the bill that was in Congress expired. So it will take a legislature to draft another bill to bring that issue alive again. The last bill did not even make it to a vote.

If the bill has expired and nothing is currently being worked on now. What would be the next step in getting approval for TEB to Dependent if we fall into the 2001-2009 catigory. Do we submit VA-4107 and appeal to the VA? I would like a course of action I can follow.

There really isn’t an approved course of action to follow. However, with that said and if the servicemember retired after August 1, 2009 and was in either the Army or Air Force, you can submit a DD Form 149 to the military member’s military branch Board of Military Record Corrections and request an opportunity to transfer benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.