This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer My Montgomery GI Bill to My College-Age Sons?

Q: Dear Sir, I am trying to figure out how I can transfer my Montgomery GI Bill to my sons who are college age. I retired in Aug. of 2008 and have been told I am not able to transfer at this time – is this fact? If so who is championing the fight to allow persons like me to transfer in Congress so I can write to them. Thanks for the service your providing to all Vets.

A: The Montgomery GI Bill does not have a transfer-to-dependents option to it, so you couldn’t transfer that GI Bill if you wanted to. However, the Post 9/11 GI Bill does have a transfer option where you could have transferred benefits to your sons, however, now that you are retired, you can’t.

When Congress wrote the New GI Bill, they were focused on using it as a re-enlistment tool, so you had to have served for at least six years, agree to serve another four years, and to make a transfer request, be serving “on or after August 1, 2009″, meaning once you retired, you could no longer make a transfer.

There have been a couple pieces of legislation during the past few years that would have allowed career retirees retiring between December 10, 2001 and July 31, 2009 the opportunity to make a transfer request. However, not only did neither of them pass, neither even had enough support to come to a vote.

I have started a petition that addresses this issue. If you would like to read it over and decide if you would like to support it, that would be great. This issue doesn’t seem like it is going to resolve itself, so I thought I would try this route. It would not hurt to contact your Congressional representation and let them know how unhappy you are with this issue and ask for their support.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”