This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer My Military Education to College Credits?

Q: How do I transfer my military education to college credits?

A: First you have to request a transcript from your service branch. You would receive an “unofficial” copy, with an “official” copy going to your school, of all your training, schools and occupational positions that you held while serving that could be converted to college credits.

Your college, in turn, would use the American Council on Education (ACE) book to convert items on your military transcript to college credits. Most of the time, the credits you get from your military service are applied to your free-elective requirements.

However, not all colleges are created equal. Colleges vary in regard to the number of credits they will transfer in from military service or otherwise. It can vary from accepting all to none and everything in between.

The lesson learned? Shop around! Unless you plan on taking a program that only a school or two teaches (and then you are pretty well at their mercy), look at several schools until you find one that will give you what you think is a fair deal. You could end up shaving off up to five months of school time.

For you, that means extra GI Bill eligibility left over at the end of your program that you could use for an advanced degree, a certification, license, etc.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”