This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer My MGIB Benefits to My Daughter?

I am a retired U.S. Army officer. I served more than 10 years on active duty. I am a Gulf War Veteran having served on active duty for 3 years from 2003 to 2006. I have not used any of my MGIB Educational Benefits. I would like to transfer them to my daughter. What is the procedure for conducting this process? Thank you for your assistance.

A: It doesn’t look good for you to make a transfer Sir. The Montgomery GI Bill doesn’t have a dependents transfer option. And while you do qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, unfortunately, you can’t make a Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer of benefits once you are retired. The way Congress wrote the bill, the servicemember has to be “on active duty on or after August 1, 2009″ to make a transfer request.

There is a bill currently in congress right now that if passed, would allow 20 plus-year veterans to make a transfer request, but with 10 years of service, I’m afraid that isn’t going to help you either.

Your daughter could try filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see what she qualifies for as far as educational financial assistance.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”