This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer My Chapter 33 GI Bill to a Different School?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: How do I transfer my Chapter 33 GI Bill over to a new school. I was at Shoreline Community College in Everett Washington, now I need it for Everest College in Everett Washington.

A: Just send in a new VA Form 22-1990, if you are a veteran; use VA Form 22-1990e, if you are a dependent using transferred benefits. Either form can be submitted electronically via the VONAPP website, or by downloading the form (form for veterans) (form for dependents with transferred benefits), and sending it in according to the instructions on the form.

Everest College is on the VA-Approved list of schools, but make sure your course is covered by your GI Bill before you transfer schools. I ran into this once before where a school had both IHL and Non-Degree lists on the VA-Approved Schools Website but because the course was listed under the Non-Degree side, instead of the IHL side, the VA wouldn’t approve the servicemember’s application use his Post 9/11 GI Bill for a Pharmacy Technician course.

According to the VA rules his non-degree course should have been covered because it was being taught at a school that also teaches degree-producing programs, but for some reason they wouldn’t approve his request. I would hate to see you fall into that same trap. Contact the VA and ask first.

1 response on “How Do I Transfer My Chapter 33 GI Bill to a Different School?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.