This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Transfer Benefits to My Wife Now That I’m Retired?

Q: I retired from the Air Force after 26 years, with the New GI Bill. Will I be able to transfer benefits to my wife? I was told this was possible but after reading the FAQ section it looks like only active duty members are able to transfer benefits.

A: What you read about transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits in the FAQ section is true. Only those still on active duty can make a transfer of benefits request (at least for right now). There is a bill in the legislature right now that if passed would allow veterans with 20 years or more of active duty service who retire after December 8, 2001 but before July 31, 2009, the option to make a transfer.

This group of veterans fully qualifies for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but because they retired before the Post 9/11 GI Bill went into effect, they never had the opportunity to make a transfer of benefits. What I don’t know is how this bill will affect those retiring after August 1, 2009, but never made a transfer while they were still on active duty.

If you fall in the above date range, and you think this bill could help you (or if you want to help the thousands of veterans this affects), then contact your legislatures and ask they support S.3477 and H.R. 5933.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”