This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Do I Switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill After Retiring?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I retired from Active Duty in November 2009. Can I still transfer from the old GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill? Do you know how I apply to switch over? I have called the VA several times and have never been able to talk to a real person.

A: Yes, you can switch over to the New GI Bill and use your entitlement, but you would not be able to make a transfer of benefits to your spouse or dependent child. You have to be on active duty at the time you make the transfer.

To switch from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you have two choices. First, the preferable way is to go to the VONAPP website and fill out VA Form 22-1990 online. That will also get you the fasted processing of your application. The second way is to download the same form, fill it out, print it out and send it in using the instructions on the form.

When your application is approved, you will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when you enroll in school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.