This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Sign-Up for the Post 9/11 GI Bill Before I Retire?

Q: I don’t want to use the benefit now, but I may want it later for my kids. I have 5 yrs left before I’m eligible to retire. How do I “sign up” now so I can serve my last 5 years and fulfill the GI Bill commitment at the same time?

A: First, you may have to reenlist for enough years to bring you to the 20-year mark, if your current enlistment doesn’t do that. If it does, then you should be O.K. with the first step.

Next, go to the TEB website. There you will find a record on each of your kids (and spouse). Enter in the number of months you want to transfer to each child. You will notice when you are done the Status block says “Pending Review”. Periodically watch the website and look for the status to change to “Approved”. Sometimes it can take up to 8 weeks for the transfers to get approved. If you can’t enter months into any of the records, then there is an issue with your enlistment time left.

Once approved, and when your kids are ready to use their transferred benefits, each of them will have to go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, each will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that they will need when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”