This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Prove My First Enlistment Ended With an Honorable Discharge?

Q: I reenlisted on my 3-year mark in Iraq. I continued my service and got discharged after 6 years with an OTH. The local VA says that if I can prove my first enlistment was honorable, it will change things with my benefits and all that. Is that true? How can I prove such a thing? In another post, someone posted “The first enlistment, however, was over 36 months and qualifies as a period of honorable service for both GI Bills, Chapter 30 and 33” on June 29th 2010. Is that statement true?

A: To answer your first question, yes, that is true. If you can prove your first enlistment ended honorably (with your dates of service after September 10, 2001) you are eligible to use at least the Post 9/11 GI Bill even if you did not sign up for the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) when you first enlisted.

So how do you prove your first-term honorable service? When you reenlisted, you should have received an Honorable Discharge Certificate – DD Form 256. That certificate alone is evidence enough that you served honorably. However, many servicemembers don’t know the value of this controlled document and don’t keep it in a safe place. Another source of proof is a copy of your DD4 Reenlistment Contract. That document lists your previous periods of service also.

The method used to send copies of either or both proofs of honorable service to the VA is via a Notice of Disagreement letter. There isn’t a prescribed format – just title it as such and in the body of the letter, explain what you are disagreeing with, why and that you have attached supporting documentation. Attach copies of your proof and send it in or work through your local VA Rep or school VA Certifying Official.

The answer to your second question as far as if the post you read about having two GI Bills is true or not … is maybe. If you selected the Student Loan Repayment Program when you first enlisted, then you would not be eligible either GI Bill during your first three-year enlistment.

Why? Because you can’t acquire GI Bill eligibility and have the SLRP during the same period of service. Nor would you have both GI Bills if you declined the MGIB, but you would have the Post 9/11 GI Bill as it is free to you just for your service.

However, if you signed up for the MGIB and made your $1,200 contribution, you would have both GI Bills. Just know that you can only use one at a time.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”