This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Prove I Paid Into the Montgomery GI Bill?

Q: Hi there. I have contacted someone a while ago at the VA about my GI Bill. He stated he could not find anything about my benefits. This concerns me of course because I have paid into it. I am going to get ready to deploy for a year, and am trying to see about transferring it to my wife so she can go to college while I am away, but like I said, the guy before said he could not find anything. I need to know who I need to get a hold of and how so I can get all this straightened out please.

A: We have a couple of different issues to discuss. First, if you paid into the GI Bill, then you have the Montgomery GI Bill which does not have a transfer option. So that GI Bill won’t do your wife any good. However, if you want to prove you paid into the MGIB, send to the VA copies of your LESs showing the $100 per month payroll deduction, however, if you don’t plan on using the MGIB yourself, it is a mute point to prove you paid into it.

If you have six years of active duty after September 10, 2001, and sign up for an additional four years, you would qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which does have a benefit transfer option and doesn’t require a monetary contribution. You could transfer up to 36 months of benefits to your wife before you deploy. Then you wouldn’t even need to worry about the MGIB.

The only way the MGIB would even come into play is if you used all of your MGIB months of benefit and qualified for the Post 9/11 GI bill. Then you could get up to another 12 months of benefits. After using up those 12 months, you would get a portion of your $1,200 back.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”