This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Make a Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer From My Husband to Me?

Q: How do I do a VA GI Bill transfer from my husband to me?

A: The short answer is you can’t do a transfer of you husband’s Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits from him to you. Why? Because they are not your benefits to transfer – they are his and he has full control over them. He is the only one who can make a transfer request while he is still serving and the only one who can revoke and reallocate unused transferred benefits after retiring.

If he chooses to and is still on active duty, and has served at least six years and agrees to serve an additional four years, he can make a transfer request to you of any or all of his unused Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement by going to the Transfer of Benefits (TEB) website.

Periodically, he will have to go back to the transfer website and look for a status change of “Approved”. Once approved, which can take up to 10 weeks, then you can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e to get your Certificate of Eligibility which you will need when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

If your husband is discharged or separated, then it is too late to make a transfer request.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

Enter to Win $1,000 for College From Lending Tree. Deadline to Enter January 31, 2022.


FINAL Countdown! Urban Outfitters $20,000 Scholarship Giveaway, Deadline October 16, 2021