This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Keep My REAP Benefits?

Q: I am currently a drilling reservist and I ETS March 2011. I am still trying to receive my owed benefits to me although I fear when I ETS I will lose my Chapter 1607 eligibility. I keep reading I have to be actively drilling to receive them. If I do not receive my benefits by my ETS time, do I miss out on those owed benefits to me? Thank you.

A: Just so everyone knows, Chapter 1607 is the Reserve Education Assistance Program or REAP. It was the forerunner of the Post 9/11 GI Bill for Reservists and National Guardsmen who were mobilized to active duty after September 10, 2001 for a contingency operation.

What you are reading is true – your REAP benefits are good for only as long as you continue serving in the Selected Reserve. My question is have you considered switching to the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

If you served at least 90 days on mobilization, you should get 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits payable at the 40% level. If you had one year of qualifying mobilized time, you would be at the 60% level. The Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits would stay with you when you get out and you would have up to 15 years from your date of discharge to use them.

I do want to caution you as the Post 9/11 GI Bill generally only pays for degree-producing courses. If you are thinking of taking a trade, technical, license or certification, then you should stick with REAP and use as much of it as you can starting now.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”