This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Do I Get Started Transferring My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Son?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My question is this: my son has two more years of high school and I choose to transfer most of my post 9/11 GI BILL to him for collage, how do I get started, how do I apply or where do I get this information, I’m active army and will have the adequate time to serve for this to happen, can you help me on these steps? Thank you!

A: First, you have to still be serving (which you are) and have served for at least six years. Then you have to agree to serve an additional four years., unless you are within four years of being retirement eligible, then your additional time would be prorated down to a lesser amount.

Once you meet the current and future service requirements, then go to the TEB website and enter into your son’s account the number of months you would like to give him. You can give him any or all up to the number of unused months that you have. If you have not used any, that would be 36 months.

Once finished, you will see the Status Block change to “Pending Review”. Keep checking back and look for the status to change to “Approved”. Be patient as it can take 8 to 10 weeks for the status to change.

Once that happens, then your son has to go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, he will get back a Certificate of Eligibility. He will need to give his school a copy of that certificate when he registers for college as a Post 9/11 GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.