This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Get My Post 9/11 GI Bill Tier Percentage Rate Re-evaluated?

Q: I just got out of the Marine Corps about a little over a month. According to my DD 214, I got honorably discharged and I had served for almost two years. I know I am supposed to be getting 100% of the GI Bill but I don’t know who to send it to in order to get my rate reevaluated. If so, how long would it take for the VA to get back to me? Also, I currently live in California, but I am a resident of Michigan. Does that effect me wanting to go to an online school from another state other than those listed above? Mary

A: My question is why do you think you should get 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill with only two years of service? Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you have to serve for at least three years to get to the 100% tier or discharged with a service connected disability with at least 30 days of service. I’m guessing that is your basis, but you didn’t say if you discharge was for a service-connected disability or not.

I’m not sure what “it” is that you are referring to. I think your best bet is to contact your State Veterans Affairs Office, go in and have them help you with this. This could get too complicated to try and straighten out through the mail or over the Internet. They can tell you for sure if you should be getting 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and how to fix it, if it needs fixing. By calling them first, you should know what paperwork you have to bring in.

As far as how long it will take? Fixing things when the VA is involved is not a fast process, nor is there anything anyone can do to speed things up. It is a slow moving machine that grinds up anything getting in its way, so be patient. They will get to it when they get to it.

Generally if you intend to go to school online, it really doesn’t make a difference as most online schools, or brick and mortar schools with online programs, have set online tuition rates. If you do run into a school that charges non-resident online rates, you would be responsible for paying the difference between the resident and nonresident rate. That additional amount could be paid for by the Yellow Ribbon Program if you are at the 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill tier, which now brings us full circle.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”