This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Do I Get My $1,200 Dollars Back Since I Did Not Use My GI Bill?

Q: How do I get my $1,200 dollars back since I did not use my GI Bill?

A: The short answer is you don’t. Your service branch fulfilled its obligation by making the 36 months of the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) available to you to use in exchange for you signing up and making your $1,200 contribution. Whether you ever used it or not, is not their problem. It is similar to putting escrow money down on a house and then backing out of the deal. Normally, you don’t get your money back.

The long answer is there is one way to get your money back, but you had to be eligible for, and switch to, the Post 9/11 GI Bill with your 36 months of Montgomery GI Bill benefits intact. Once you use up all 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement, you get your $1,200 contribution back as part of your last housing allowance payment. If you switch with less than 36 months of MGIB benefits left, then you get a prorated amount of your $1,200 contribution back.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”