This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Do I Find Out If My Husband Transferred His GI Bill to Me?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband is in the National Guard, and he told me that he gave me his GI Bill and I was wondering how I can find out if he actually did? Also, how would I use it if I do have it, is there a form I have to fill out?

A: Most National Guard members have the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) which doesn’t have a transfer option, so I doubt he was able to transfer that GI Bill to you. If he has been deployed, on Title 10 orders for a contingency operation, he may also qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but I doubt he has enough active duty time to qualify for the transfer option. For that he would have needed six years of active duty time and had to extend for another four years.

To find out if he has transferred benefits or not, submit VA Form 22-1990e online and see if it comes back approved or denied. If it comes back denied, then you know he did not make the transfer, or at least if he did, it was not approved. If it comes back approved, then you will have your Certificate of Eligibility which you will need when you enroll in school anyway. If you can’t submit the form online, you can download the form and send it in according to the instructions on the form.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.