This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Can My Parent Transfer the GI Bill to Me?

Q: How does it work? How can my parent transfer the GI Bill to me? How can I apply to the Fry Scholarship?

A: First of all, your parent has to have the Post 9/11 GI Bill as that is the only GI Bill that has a transfer-of-benefit option. So if your parent has the Montgomery GI Bill, transferring benefits is out of the question.

Second, if your parent does have the New GI Bill, s/he has to have served for at least six years after September 10, 2001, be currently serving at the time of the transfer request, agree to serve for an additional four years, and most of all wants to transfer benefits to you. The sponsor has full control over who gets his/her benefits – even in retirement.

If your parent meets the above requirements and agrees to make a transfer request, s/he can go to the milConnect website and follow the Transfer of Benefits section. Once approved, you then have to go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e to get your Certificate of Eligibility that you would need when enrolling in school.

As far as applying for the Fry Scholarship, your serving parent would have had to die in the line of duty before you would be eligible to apply, which I don’t think is the case being you also asked how your parent can transfer GI Bill benefits to you.

I sensed some desperateness in your question; even if you do not have GI Bill benefits that you can use for college, there are still thousands of grants and scholarships (many of which go unused each year) that you can apply for to get money to go to school. It just takes some initiative to seek them out and apply for them.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”