This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Can I Use The Yellow Ribbon Program With the Montgomery GI Bill?

Q: Hello, I’ve been in the Army for 12 years and I am about to ETS as an E-5 with no dependents. How much will the Montgomery GI Bill pay for me to go to school? Also do I qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program? I am a resident of Georgia.

A: Currently, the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) pays students $1,564 per month up to 36 months to go to school full-time, if you have served for at least three years or more (which you have). Out of that amount, you have to pay tuition, fees, books and other education-related expenses.

As far as the Yellow Ribbon Program, that is part of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and not the MGIB. But the good news is you also qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill too. The minimum benefit of 40% under the New GI Bill comes free of charge just for serving 90 days or more on a Title 10 order. With over three years of service, you are at the 100% tier level.

The only way the Yellow Ribbon program would benefit you is if you:
• attend a private school
• are in a graduate program
• pay non-resident tuition

Because you are a resident in Georgia, if you attend a public school in Georgia, then the Yellow Ribbon Program is not a feature beneficial to you. Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, your public school tuition would be paid in full.

Also, under the this GI Bill, you would get a monthly housing allowance. It is based on the zip code of your school and the number of credits you are taking. If you were going to school in Atlanta for example, it would pay you $1,164 monthly. While this is less than the MGIB, keep in mind your tuition is already paid under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

In addition, you also would get the book stipend calculated at $41.67 per credit per semester. There is a $1,000 per year cap on the book stipend, but it is enough for a couple of 12 credit semesters per year.

If you decide to switch to the New GI Bill, go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990. In return you would get your Certificate of Eligibility that you would need when enrolling in school.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”