This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Can I Transfer My GI Bill to My Daughter?

Q: How can I transfer my GI Bill to my daughter?

A: The answer depends on several variables. First, it depends on which GI Bill you have. The Montgomery GI Bill does not have a benefits transfer option, so if you have the MGIB, that one is out.

If you have the Post 9/11 GI Bill, it does have a benefits transfer option, but only if you are still on active duty. Once you are out, you lose the transfer option. The exact transfer eligibility criteria is you:

  • have to be on active duty on or after August 1, 2009;
  • have served for at least six years, of which at least three years has to be after September 10, 2001;
  • and you have to sign-up for an additional four years. Then you can access the transfer option website and make a request.

If you are within four years of retiring, the additional time required is prorated.

If you are already out, but you do meet the retirement eligibility criteria, you may get a change to make a transfer, if S3447 legislative bill passes. The bill does have a transfer clause in it, but we don’t know what the final language will look like to know if it would apply in your situation or not. Keep watching this website for more information on the bill.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”