This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Can I Transfer Either My MGIB or Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Son?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Sir, I have the Montgomery GI Bill and now I work for the U.S. Navy as a DOD civilian so the Navy will cover my schools. I was in the Marine Corp from 2001 to 2005 active duty then I deployed as an active reserve for about 7-8 months. I was finally discharged in July of 09 and I was wondering how can I transfer my benefits to my son?

A: The reality of it is you can’t for a couple of reasons. First, the Montgomery GI Bill does not have a transfer option, like the Post 9/11 GI Bill, where you can transfer benefits to a spouse or dependent.

Second, the way Congress wrote the New GI Bill rules, the servicemember had to be on active duty, or in the case of the Reserves and Guard, in a drilling status, on or after August 1, 2009 to access the transfer option.

It is a shame that you got out in July 09 because if you would have stayed in for one more month, you would have been able to make a transfer request of benefits to your son. Your Marine Corps years makes make you fully eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which as I said has a transfer option. There has been some talk of making the GI Bill immortal meaning it would be good for the life of the servicemember, but no legislation has been introduced to make that happen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.