This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

How Can I Prove I’m My Father’s Son for Post 9/11 GI Bill Purposes?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My father is trying to give me his GI Bill but he says he can’t because for some reason I’m not on his DEERS. How can I prove that he is my father and get the GI Bill transferred for my school?

A: Well first, your father is correct in saying he can’t transfer his Post 9/11 GI Bill to you because you are not listed as a dependent in DEERS. The VA uses DEERS as their database of record as far as determining dependent status. If he would go to the TEB website and try to make a transfer of benefits to you, he would not find a record on you that he could access.

However, the bigger question is why are you not listed as one of his dependents? Are you over the age of 21 and no longer classified as a dependent? Were you never listed as a dependent of his? If the latter is the case, then why has he not taken the steps to prove you are his kid and to get you listed in DEERS? It is not your responsibility to prove you are his child – it is his responsibility.

You father should take your birth certificate to his I.D. Card Office and have them enter you into the DEERS database. Once you show up as one of his dependents, then he can go to the milConnect website and follow the instruction in the Transfer of Benefits Section to give you some or all of his 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement.

Once his transfer of benefits has been approved, then you need to go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return you’ll get a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when enrolling in school as a Post 9/11 GI Bill student using transferred benefits. Keep in mind you only have until age 26 to use your acquired education benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.