This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

How Can I Give My Wife My GI Bill?

Q: How can I give my wife my GI Bill?

A: It depends on which GI Bill you are talking about and your current military status. The only GI Bill that has transfer benefit option is the Post 9/11 GI Bill and if you are retired, you can’t transfer benefits anyway.

However, assuming you are still serving, have served for at least six years, and have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time you make a transfer request, you can go to the milConnect website and fill out a request.

Once your transfer is approved, indicated by the Status Block changing from “Transfer Pending” to “Transfer Approved”, then she can go to the eBenefits website and request her Certificate of Eligibility by submitting VA Form 22-1990e. She would need a copy of it when she enrolls in school.

If she waits to use her transferred benefits until you are out, then she would get the monthly housing allowance which right now averages $1,300 per month. If she chooses to use her benefit now while you are still serving, then she forgo that monthly payment.

Regardless of your serving status, she would get her tuition paid up to the resident rate and receive the book stipend.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”