This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Does the School Matter as Far as Using My Transferred Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Does it matter where you go to school? I am currently enrolled in our local community college and will be starting a Sonography program in the spring. My husband has already done the TEB part (waiting on approval) and I am concerned that we will transfer all of this just to find out that it is not accepted at my school.

A: Generally speaking, most accredited community colleges are on the VA-approved list of schools, however, some schools are approved only for the Montgomery GI Bill and not the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which is the one you have by the transfer benefits you received from your husband.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is meant for courses that produce some type of degree at the end of the program, anywhere from a two-year associate’s degree all the way up to a doctorate’s degrees. If your Sonography program is degree-producing, then you should be covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill. If it is a license or certification program, then it may not.

I say may not, because some non-degree producing courses are covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill, if they are taught at a school that also teaches degree-producing courses. Confused yet?

You can look up the name of your school and see if it is on the VA’s school list. If it is, then click on the PROGRAMS link and see where your course is listed. If it is listed in the Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) list, then it is covered. If it is listed in the Non-Degree list, it might not be covered and you would have to contact the VA to be sure.

I have run into this situation before and the course was not covered because it was listed on the Non-Degree side instead of the IHL side, even though the school does award degrees.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.