This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Do I Still Have My GI Bill If I Was Recently Discharged From the ARNG?

Q: I was in the National Guard and I was recently discharged. I served 5 years with no active duty (other than training). Am I still receiving my GI Bill?. What do I do? Can I keep filling out a request or is it all just gone? I was unclear on what to do so I still verified that I’m a student. What is the best way to go about this? I’m not trying to commit fraud, but I want to know what to do?

A: Under the Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR), once you are discharged, you lose your GI Bill benefits. Contact the VA immediately, through WAVE, and let them know when you were discharged from the ARNG.

What I’m afraid will happen is you will get into an overpayment situation – the VA is still paying you benefits even though you don’t have the Montgomery GI Bill– Selected Reserves any longer. That can get to be quite a mess with the VA Debt Management Center to get straightened out and to get the money paid back. The longer you delay contacting them, the more chance of an overpayment. Good luck!

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”