This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Do I Have Longer Than 48 Months to Use My Post 9/11 GI Bill and Complete My Degree?

Q: I have been in the Army for 11 years and have been active duty for 5 of those years. I am currently on active duty orders with the Utah National Guard. Because of my work schedule, I plan on only taking one or two classes and then adding more each semester depending on how much of the work load I can handle. My question is, from what I have read it seems like the GI Bill is available only for a length of time. Since it will obviously take me much longer to complete my degree than the standard 48 months what would you recommend I do?

A: You are confusing me right off of the bat. If you are actually in the Army, then how can you have been on active duty for 5 out of the 11 years? Either you would have been in the Army for all eleven years or not. The Army does not have a part-time or inactive program, so I have to question whether you mean you are actually in the Army, or if you are in the Active Guard Reserve (AGR) program – a National Guard or Army Reserve program – which is different from being in the active Army.

With that out of the way, let’s move on to your question, but first I have to ask, why are you using your GI Bill now? If you are in the active Army, you could be using Tuition Assistance and preserving your Post 9/11 GI Bill to use later or to transfer to your spouse or dependent children once you are eligible for the transfer option?

If you are actually in the Army, you could also use the Tuition Top-Up program, but that is not available if you are AGR. Even though you wear the U.S. Army tab on your uniform, the programs available to you differ depending on your branch of service.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill gives you 36 months of benefits that you have 15 years from your date of discharge to use. So while you can use your GI Bill benefits now, you do have up to 15 years after you get out.

The 48 months comes into play if you first use up your 36 months of the Montgomery GI Bill and then switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to get the 12 additional months. However, 36 months is enough to get a four-year degree by going to school for four 9-month school years.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”