This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Do I Have Enough Years In to Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Wife?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am U.S. Marine and I have a question about transferring my Post 9/11 Bill to my spouse. I have just recently reenlisted for an additional 4-years which would total 9 whole years in the military. My question is if I am allowed to still transfer my gi bill now and if I am allowed to reenlist for only 1 more year to equal a total of 10 years. Please help. Thank you.

A: According to the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer rules, you have to have served at least six years of which three years had to be after September 10, 2001 and agree to serve an additional four years. According to your information, it looks like you only have 5 years at this point, so you would need to serve for another year and then extend your enlistment by at least enough time to give you four additional years left on your enlistment at the time you make your transfer request.

Once you have your service requirements in place, then go to the TEB website and enter in the number of months you wish to transfer to your wife. Keep checking back at the website and look for a status change to “Approved”.

Once that happens, then your wife can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, she will get her Certificate of Eligibility that she will need when enrolling in school. In your situation, your reference to 10 years wouldn’t apply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.