This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Do I Get the Same Money for Attending Online Courses as a Full-Time Student Attending On Campus?

Q: If I do online courses do I still get the same money as a full time student attending a school?

A: No you don’t. Under GI Bill 2.0 changes, students taking all their classes online only get up to $673.50 per month in Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance – about half of the on-campus national average. Before GI Bill 2.0 though, online-only students were not authorized any housing allowance.

However, there is a work-around where you can get the full housing allowance authorized for the zip code of your school if you are classified as a full-time student. All you have to do is take at least one course on campus per semester that applies to your degree plan. Your on-campus class can be at any accredited school.

The key to making this work is your on-campus classes have to apply to your degree plan. They can be just a one-credit classes if that is what you need. Why? Because if they don’t apply to your degree plan, the VA will not pay for them or recognize them as being legitimate classes and hence those credits would not apply to the total amount you would need to get the traditional student housing allowance – just the online-only housing allowance.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”