This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Do I Get the Full Housing Allowance Because I’m 60% Disabled?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Hello, I have a couple of questions actually. First, I was medically discharge from the military back in 2008, I’ve heard “rumors” that because I was disabled of 60%, I get full bah? Second, does the Post 9/11 cover community colleges? And finally where can I enroll for the Post 9/11?

A: To answer your first question, what you heard is just that – a rumor. The Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance is based on your rate of pursuit as a student. As long as at least one class is taken on campus, and you are carrying enough credits per term to classify you as a greater-than-half-time student, you will get the full housing allowance. How many credits that ends up being depends on the number of credits your school considers to be full-time. You need to carry at least 51% of that number. Your other classes per term could be online if you want.

For your second question, yes the Post 9/11 GI Bill does cover community colleges. Typically, these are two-year schools that issue associate’s degrees which is one of the degrees covered by the New GI Bill.

To start using your Post 9/11 GI Bill, go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990. Once your form is approved, you will get back a Certificate of Eligibility. Take the certificate with you when you go to enroll in school as a GI Bill student. That’s it!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.