This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Do I Get BAH as Part of My Husband’s Transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Since He Is Retired?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Hi, my husband gave me his Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have been attending school as of Jan 2011. Do I get the BAH since he is retired? He did 28 years. Thank you.

A: You should, provided you are taking at least 51% of the number credits your school considers to be full-time and not taking all online courses. Right now if you are considered a greater-than-half-time student, you would get the full Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance. With the GI Bill 2.0 changes, that will change this fall – students will start getting a prorated amount of the full housing allowance based on the number of credits they are taking.

For example, if you are taking 7 credits and your school considers 12 to be full-time, then you would get 7/12th of the full housing allowance. Is that fair? I don’t know. I realize rent and mortgage payments are not determined based on the number of credits you take, but I also know that 12 credits is considerably more work than 7 credits and personally I never thought it was fair that both got the same amount.

If you are taking all online classes, then right now, you are not authorized the housing stipend. But, that was another change under the passage of the GI Bill 2.0. Starting in the fall, full-time online only students can get $673.50 in a monthly housing allowance. Part-time students would get a prorated lesser amount.

Of course the way around that is to take at least one course per semester pertaining to your degree plan at a brick and mortar school. Then you would get the full housing allowance amount for the zip code of the school where you are taking the traditional class.

4 responses on “Do I Get BAH as Part of My Husband’s Transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Since He Is Retired?

Do you know if my daughter will get BAH while attending school full time with her dad’s post 911 gi bill AND she is living at home with the active duty parent. Does she have to live outside our home to collect the BAH?

Is my daughter entitled to bah while in college, and if so, is that paid in addition to her monthly full-time benefit? Im rated 100% disabled with the VA.

Her “monthly full-time benefit” is her “bah”, or by its real name, housing allowance. The VA will pay her tuition and fees directly to her school and she should get a book stipend towards the beginning of each semester. That is all she will get under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.