This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Did My Army College Fund Transfer to My Wife?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Did the 40k Army College Fund transfer to my spouse when I transferred my GI Bill benefits to her. I have asked VA and Army ED centers but none seems to have an answer – just guesses.

A: No it did not – only the months of entitlement transfer. So you still have your Army College Fund, but only you will be able to use it.

The 40K amount is misleading in that the amount is a combined total of the Montgomery GI Bill and Army College Fund. Many think they have the 40k on top of the MGIB, which is not true.

The benefits you transferred to your wife were most likely Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits as the MGIB normally doesn’t have a transfer of benefits option. She will get her tuition and fees paid directly to her school up to the in-state amount. That will change in the fall with the passage of GI Bill 2.0. The in-state maximums will be eliminated and the VA will pay 100% of public school tuition and eligible fees.

If you are not on active duty anymore, then she will get the housing allowance also in addition to the book stipend. If you are still on active duty, then she will not get either until the fall. After August 1st, she would be entitled to the book stipend. That was another GI Bill 2.0 change.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.