This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Could My Wife Attend the Rocky Mountain School of Photography on My Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Q: I currently have 30 months of benefits left on my Post 9/11 GI Bill. I would “LOVE” to give my wife the opportunity to follow her dream of attending “THE” Rocky Mountain School of Photography. I have 10 years of active duty service, 2 deployments, and only 1 month of AD time since Nov 2011. Is it possible for me to transfer 6 months of my remaining 30 months of benefits to my wife for her to complete this certification coarse. Approximate cost of coarse is $16,000-$18,000. Rocky Mountain School of Photography is not a degree granting school and they only accept a few people per year, however, it is the #1 photography school in the world!

A: Since you stated that you only have 1 month of active duty time since November 2011, I’m assuming you are no longer in. If that is true, then you would not be eligible to make a transfer of benefits to your wife. The three Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer requirements are:
• having served for at least 6 years of which at least three years has to be after September 10, 2001
• currently serving at the time of the transfer request
• agree to serve an additional 4 fours of service.
You would meet the first requirement, but not the last two.

However, if you are in the National Guard or Reserves, that is a different story. You would meet the first two requirements for sure, and if you did not meet the last one right now, you could if you reenlisted for enough time to have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time you made your transfer request.

If you meet all of the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer eligibility requirements, then head on over to the milConnect website and click on Education Benefits. Then click on How to Submit a Transfer Request link. Follow the instructions.

Once your benefits are transferred, then your wife has to submit VA Form 22-1990e from the eBenefits website. After she receives her Certificate of Eligibility, should contact Wendy Ford at RMSP. She is their Career Training Specialist and is up to date on VA policies as far as using them there. Her contact number is 800.394.7677.

Because RMSP is a private school the VA should cover up to $19,198.31 per year in tuition.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”