This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can You Tell Us How to Transfer from the Montgomery GI Bill to the New Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband did 9 years of active duty in the Army. He got out of the Army in 2005. He is now in the Army Reserves after enlisting in January, 2011. We would like some information on transferring his Montgomery GI Bill to the new GI Bill because we are interested in transferring it into our children for schooling in the future. Please provide further information on how we can go about this. Thank you!

A: Based on the information you provided, your husband meets the first Post 9/11 GI Bill service requirement of having served for at least six years of which at least three years had to be after September 10, 2001. Now that he is currently serving “on or after August 1, 2009″ in the Army Reserves, he also has to meet the future service requirement of having at least four years left on his enlistment at the time he makes a transfer request.

As far as switching from the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, it automatically happens when he submits a transfer request. If he planned on using his benefits to go to school, he would have to submit VA Form 22-1990 from the eBenefits website, but because he is going to transfer benefits and doesn’t plan on using his benefits himself, he doesn’t have to submit the form.

Instead, once he has at least four years left on his enlistment, he can go to the milConnect website and enter into each child’s record the number of months he wishes to transfer to each one. In 8 to 10 weeks, he should see the status change to “Request Approved”.

Once that happens, then each child (after graduating from high school or attaining the age of 18) has to go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, each will get a Certificate of Eligibility that each child will need when enrolling in school.

2 responses on “Can You Tell Us How to Transfer from the Montgomery GI Bill to the New Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Do you think is a good idea to a new soldier with only 7 months as active switch from MONTGOMERY to POST 9/11

No I don’t and here is why. Technically he will not be able to use his GI Bill until he has 24 months of eligibility, so by submitting a request to switch now, it would just get disapproved anyway. There is no hurry to switch- he can even do it after he gets out of the military.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.